I cannot believe how fast this month has flown by. It's been fun, exciting and a bit stressful all at once! Our dance recital turned out to be a hit despite the heat and BabyGirl was so proud of her first trophy! (you receive medals the first 2 years, then move on up to the big stuff) We wrapped up our regular session of gymnastics, and then took a placement test. BabyGirl has moved up to "advanced beginner". Our first session starts next week, so we'll see how she likes it. She is so enthusiastic about it that we couldn't hold her back. I'm curious to see how this all works out. We're still kind-of new to this gymnastics scene. It should be a fun addition to our summer plans.
We've got our own roller skates now and plan on attending the local roller skating rink weekly this summer since it's only $1 to get in with your own skates. Air-conditioned, cheap, fun exercise??? We love it!! We also plan on putting up our soft pool in a week or so. It should be great fun teaching BabyGirl to swim even better than last year! And, don't forget the gas money we'll be saving by swimming her in our own yard, rather than in a concrete yard in Tulsa!! All of these things rolled into one promise to give us an abundantly wonderful summer! (yay for Bub's being out of school!!!)
I've got a dreamy vision of our home school next year, and I'm so happy that there is no panic or scrambling going on in my brain! We're going to do some kindergarten/1st grade stuff. We've got all kinds of curriculum ready to go, as well as our next core knowledge book to add with our kindergarten one. We're going to pick up where we left off on our human body since it's not gotten the time it deserved in the month of May. We've found a great group of friends we meet once weekly that will continue throughout the summer and into the next school year. We're excited about getting more involved in our home school support group meetings, and joining a recently posted kindergarten co-op. The possibilities are endless! It's so funny when I look around and really observe our learning. I'm a big 'logger'...everything we do gets filed and written down for every subject. It helps to file it in my mind. But, I stopped logging the third week of May with all the chaos and summer approaching. During the last few weeks of non-planning I've observed so much learning that just comes naturally, that I think most of the people who just "dont get" home schooling take for granted. BabyGirl and her dad spent an entire morning outside with a book on trees identifying all the ones on her playground. She still remembers every one and loves to educate others on them. This all came about when BabyGirl was playing outside that morning and noticed some new berries on a tree that we've never seen before. She got dad to get out our tree book, and they took off from there. There is nothing like completely free learning, flying, running with what you're passionate about. Those are the times that no conventional school can match. Every night lately BabyGirl has been playing basketball with her dad. Since they've started this she's mastered the art of tally score-keeping, counting by fives and so much more. This is so concrete for her, and this could probably be learned by hours sitting at the table or desk counting and re-counting. But, imagine the mind being able to soar and grasp concepts in a free and wondrous setting? This is what it's all about. Yes, there are those times we'll need to do "book work". No doubt about it. But, it's so inexplicably fulfilling to be able to balance and tailor our home school to nurture the human mind and soul. To give and provide a limitless realm of learning situations to my child. I look forward to each and every day. I know the next school year will be a wonderful one bursting at the seams with new things. I look forward to the challenges and triumphs. What a great life. I could go on and on....
No comments:
Post a Comment