Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I still want a hooooolaaa hoooooooooop

I'm thankful to be sitting here blogging on this cold & blustery day. We're listening to my old Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas album on our Fisher-Price record player, and waiting for our pioneer Christmas ornaments to finish baking. BabyGirl is playing with the dough remains and experimenting with what happens when you add more and more water (besides a big mess!) There's nowhere else I'd rather be.

This month for history we're learning what the pioneer Christmas was like. It's so much fun to go back in time and experience what they did. We're making ornaments, possibly clove apples, garland, and a little ball & cup game.

For geography we're learning about Antarctica. We've traced it and placed it on our wall map of the world. We've also learned about the animals and plants, or the lack thereof. On a day like today it's going to be great to take a virtual online tour. I'm hoping it will have some great shots! I can already feel the cold breezes....brrrrr!

Our phonics are moving right along. Along with our regular curriculum, BabyGirl gets allllllllll of her art supplies out covering the floor making Christmas cards & pictures for absolutely everyone she knows. She likes to write thoughtful messages on all of the cards, and label her pictures. She is such a sweet and kind soul, I can only imagine how great the world would be if everyone was as thoughtful and giving as my little girl...

We're having fun with estimation in math! She is so good at estimating length! She likes to use Lego's or paper clips, and almost always guesses dead on. She's also been using her marbles a lot in addition, subtraction and even/odd. I find she uses math on a daily basis on her own in play. I love to watch the ultimate form of kindergarten education....PLAY!

For science right now we are doing Earth's land, air and water. So far, we've done the land. We gathered samples of rock, sand and soil from our property. We observed them with and without a magnifying glass, then she drew pictures of what she saw and felt. Of course, no science experiment would be complete without mixing them all up and adding water! :)

We're having a great time as a family gearing up for the holidays. We've been looking at Christmas lights, and plan on going again next weekend. Chandler Park has an awesome display that we thoroughly enjoyed!! We got to spend some much-needed time with Nan last week just doing the girl thing...getting our hair trimmed, eating, Christmas shopping. It was a blast and I'm hoping to do it again this Friday. (Do you hear me Nanny? Get better!) Tomorrow is our annual cousins trip to the mall to sit with Santa. I can't believe every year how much all of them grow, I'm not sure Santa will have any room left on his lap!

As Christmas approaches I'm so happy for every moment I get to spend with my family creating memories that will last a lifetime. Next week we have BabyGirl's Christmas dance program, we'll watch cousin be a little shepherd in his program, and continue to be thankful for every Christmas miracle. Until next time.....

1 comment:

justme said...

I love the Alvin & The Chipmunks holiday album. "Old" style ... You rock!