Monday, February 18, 2013

Pappap The Great




My Pappap The Great was truly one of a kind.  I feel so lucky to have been blessed with him as my Grandfather.  I feel even more lucky that my children were blessed with him as a Great Grandfather.  I don't have many memories of my Great Grandparents. But, the ones I do have I treasure.  My kids had the opportunity to make lots of memories with their Pappap.  He has left behind a legacy that will far exceed anything he could have imagined.


If there is anyone I could possibly compare my Pappap's grand parenting style to, it would have to be Mister Rogers.  Even as a very young child, when I watched Mister Rogers I was always reminded of the gentle manner of my Pappap.  He was very soft spoken with us, he always made sure to get down on our level while speaking and interacting with us, he would explain in great detail answers to any questions we could think up, and he never lost patience with us.  He was full of life lessons that he shared readily.


I have so many vivid memories of wonderful times spent with my Pappap.  He taught me how to hit a ball with a bat.  I remember him taking a whole day, showing me over and over how to keep my eye on the ball.  I was so proud of myself when I could hit it every single time!!!  I remember him giving me a big, full-sized metal hammer and a roll of caps.  I would sit in the driveway hitting those caps and making big black smudges along the drive while he worked in the garage.  I knew my parents would never let me do such a thing!  :)  I remember riding on the back of the Yamma-hopper through the winding streets of Flint Ridge...then I remember him teaching me how to ride the Yamma-hopper myself....and then wrecking the Yamma-hopper with him totally understanding.  I remember him teaching me how to play putt putt, how to swim, how to fish and so much more....  He could fix anything.  He worked harder than any man I have ever met in my life.  He took care of his family with everything he had.  He would give a man the shirt off his back, and then do 100 pull ups to keep himself warm.  :)   He was full of life, love, dreams, knowledge and understanding.   I'm gonna miss him so.........


There are so many emotions and thoughts that I am full of right now.  So many things that I am thankful for.  My Pappap got up before dawn every single morning to do his exercise routine.  He pushed himself to be strong and work hard.  I am thankful that, in the end, he never had to compromise this part of his life.  He never had to live through a time where he wasn't able to do these things and feel like anything less than the strong man that he was.  But, what I'm thankful for the most, was that moments before he passed away I was able to tell him what a wonderful, beautiful part of my life he was.  How he was the best Grandfather and Great Grandfather that anyone has ever known.  How he touched every single part of my life for the better.  How I will never forget a single moment that we spent together, or the lessons that he has taught me.  How I hope to live the rest of my life making him proud as he looks down upon me.....and I was able to hear him tell me that he loved me one last time.



And, as I type this, I know all of these things are true.  I can feel him all around me.  When my kids interrupt me for the tenth time...instead of getting angry or losing my patience I can feel what he felt...take the time to get down on their level and really understand them...never take them for granted.  When my husband goes to town every day and works himself to the bone for us, when he does the dishes for me, when he finishes up all the laundry and makes sure the bed is made ...I can see how my Pappap helped me see what to look for when I chose a soul mate.  I will be reminded of him every day when I see an American flag, listen to a woodpecker tapping on my maple tree, watch my roadrunners wings spinning in the wind, drive on a beautiful road and notice the sun setting, eat an ice cream cone, visit the zoo, or watch my children play.



I really don't know what else to say....there are no words for this.  Nothing that can really prepare you for such an event.  But, I take comfort in knowing that he is still there.  We will keep listening for his voice...whether it be through the thunder, through the wind, or through whispers in our hearts.



Thank you again, Pappap The Great....for every single thing.  I love you so much.

No comments: