Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Day 1

I'm happy to report that day 1 of what my daughter likes to call "mamma school" was a great success! I've made a huge interactive September calendar that she writes the date on each day to get us started. She has a great memory and is grasping the calendar idea entirely.

Today we checked on our eggs first thing after breakfast and she was so excited to see how brown they had become! We pretended they were teeth and "brushed" them with different items to see which would be most effective. My daughter predicted that the baking soda would be, and she was correct. We also used salt and regular tooth paste. The salt started removing the residue the quickest of the three, and the tooth paste was least effective. Next we put them in a bowl of vinegar to let them soak overnight. Baby Girl predicted "I decide they will turn green." Within 1 hour the brown had already bubbled off....

Over the summer we read Emily's First 100 Days of School by Rosemary Wells. She really enjoyed this book and got into the numbers, so we decided to do our own take on it and start a number journal. Today we started with number 1 of course and did a few worksheets to go along with it. As long as they are creative using cut/paste and coloring she will work on them...now try a regular old tracing numbers worksheet and you can forget it!!!! Each day we will do a different number and have a huge party when we reach 100!! She is so excited about this!!!

We started introducing concepts of time in baby steps by discussing what takes more/less time and doing a worksheet with pictures she could identify what would take longer by coloring it. She flew through this with flying colors!

She decide she wanted to learn about Killer Whales and work a jigsaw puzzle featuring one. We both learned more during this and she was very intrigued by it. She is totally into anything dealing with nature, animals, the human body, outer space, weather, etc. I've found we can incorporate so much into each of these categories! We also did some sticker stories featuring animals from different environments and she flew through that as well.

We finished reading Flat Stanley last night and cut out our paper doll with some clothing to color and play with today. He is presently having an adventure in her doll house meeting all kinds of new friends. She is still very unsure of "sharing" him with other children or families and I think we may have to make another one if we are going to try that part of the book! :)

We're doing dance tonight for PE and will be doing guitar playing with Daddy-o in the evenings for our music lessons. She absolutely loves dancing and making up her own songs while Daddy strums along....she also loves to play herself!

I can't believe how fast the morning flew by and how much we fit in....I couldn't even include all of it or I'd be sitting here forever going on and on....
What a wonderful first day and what a relief to know that I can do this and she loves it so! How could anything be so great as looking into your daughters eyes and hearing "Mommy, I'm so glad you're my teacher." That says it all........

No comments: